Friday, July 28, 2006

The Atlanta Who?

I just don't feel very excited about this series. Sure a few Braves have given us some bulletin board material, but that is really the only thing that makes this series any more interesting than any other.

I understand (from reading other blogs) that I am in the minority on this issue but really, do the Braves actually pose a threat? Bob Wickman is NOT the answer to their bullpen woes. A step in the right direction? Absolutely. The cure? Not even close. They simply have too many holes. What happens when (not "if") the Mets go on a 2 week tear and even if the Braves go .500 during that same stretch? They would in all likelihood be about 20 games out.

That is all it would really take. We are late enough in the season that any pro-longed winning streak (or even a good stretch) will in fact bury the Braves.

I was looking forward to the Phillies contending so that we could get that great rivalry going again. My dad used to tell me about how he and his buddies would go to the Vet back in the day to see the Mets playing Philly. If the games had meant anything, I would have tried to have gone out to Philly at the end of this year. Oh well, maybe I still might.

No comments: